Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Friend of Reggaeton: N.O.R.E.

We have done a good job of talking about the enemies of Reggaeton, but now it's time to talk about the friends of reggaeton.

N.O.R.E. or Noreaga is a famous New York Rapper who had awesome songs like Superthug in the mid 1990s. His best feature is that is insane. Here are some lyrics from Superthug:

Aiyyo, we light a candle
Run laps around the english channel
Neptunes, I got a cockerspaniel
We on the run now, yo, it aint no fun now
And where I go, you niggas cant even come now
You aint the lord, nigga, break it, I don't care
And when ya get caught, remember that I don't care
N.o.r.e., nuthin but the atmosphere
Yo for now we on the run, yo if that ain't clear
Weak niggas wanna stick, you but that ain't fair
You we down in vegas, money, skies too courageous
And yo, Im on the run, but still rip stages
And call me animal thug, when I'm in cages

Also prominent: "what"

In any case, in 2002 he put his career on the line and put together a reggaeton video called Oye Mi Canto that became the first ever reggaeton video on MTV.

From Wikipedia:
"Oye Mi Canto" is a Reggaeton single by N.O.R.E.. The song was originally released in 2004 as the lead single from the album 1 Fan a Day, which is heretofore unreleased. It is his second biggest hit, peaking at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was later included on the 2006 album N.O.R.E. y la Familia...Ya Tú Sabe. The song features Nina Sky and Reggaeton artists Daddy Yankee, EX Thugz-2-Life, Gem Star and Big Mato. The song originally featured Tego Calderón in place of Daddy Yankee but was later changed for the video. It's N.O.R.E.'s first venture into the increasingly popular Latin genre reggaeton. In a 2004 interview with MTV, N.O.R.E. says of the single, "I fell in love with this music. I did this joint originally for a mixtape. The Latino people haven't been spoken to in a while, since [Big] Pun died. They haven't felt like they had something proud [in hip-hop] to stand on, so being both Latin and black, I wanted to rep my Latin side for once. Why not do it with this new music, instead of doing a Spanish rap record? This is what speaks for the inner-city Latino youth." In 2004, the LP was one of the most-played singles in the US"

He has never said he started reggaeton, but he used his power and fame to let other people (i.e. white) learn about the music.


For this act of genorisity he has eared the first "Friend of Reggaeton" post.

Notes about the video:
1. I WISH I LIVED IN THAT ROOM!
2. I can't get over that room

No comments:

Post a Comment